Chickpea Tagine [Vegan]
This delicious vegetarian/vegan chickpea tagine has just the right touch of spice. It’s a wonderful, healthy comfort meal packed with protein, fibre and nutrients. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.5-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 1 can chickpeas and 1 cup edamame or other beans of your choice)
- veggies of your choice, sliced carrots are recommended
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (or more for added spice)
- a bunch of finely chopped parsley
- a handful of almonds (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 cup water
- In a medium skillet, head the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes until onions soften. Stir in the rest of the ingredients (except the almonds), cover, and let simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let the liquid boil down to the desired consistency, and c’est tout! Sprinkle on almonds if desired and serve.